Save Some Money by Revamping Your Dining Room Chairs
Don’t throw out those old dining room chairs just because their upholstery is worn! With a little elbow grease and about 30 minutes, you can give them a new lease on life — all you need is a staple gun, some upholstery fabric, and a bit of patience. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to make your dining room chairs look good as new.
HOW TO REVIVE YOUR DINING ROOM SEATING
- Remove the old upholstery. This is the most time-consuming part of the project, but it’s important to do a thorough job. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove any staples that are holding the fabric in place, then gently pull the fabric away from the chair. If the foam padding is in bad shape, you can replace it with new foam or stuffing.
- Cut the new fabric. Measure the seat of the chair to determine how much fabric you’ll need, then add about two inches all the way around for wiggle room. Cut out your fabric using sharp scissors and set it aside.
- Attach the new fabric. Center the new piece of fabric on the seat of the chair, then start stapling it into place with your staple gun. Work your way around the seat, pulling the fabric taut as you go and making sure that there are no wrinkles or bunches. When you get all the way around, trim off any excess fabric with scissors, and voila! You’ve got yourself a brand-new dining room chair.
TIPS ON HOW TO TAKE IT UP A NOTCH
- Play with patterns and fabrics! Making your new set of chairs updated to your room’s current style can definitely make an impression. Don’t be afraid to choose a vibrant solid color or neutral pattern to make them stand out.
- Have some patience and follow it through. Initially, it may seem like a daunting task to complete this project but you can have some great results in the end.
- Add finishing touches. You can change the color of the frame of the chairs, for instance, some people may want to stain the color of their wooden chairs. Some other additions you can put on the chairs are some stones or pins to give the chair a more elevated look.
With just a few supplies and 30 minutes, you can give your old dining room chairs a fresh start. Follow the instructions above to remove the old upholstery, cut and attach the new fabric, and sit back and enjoy your handiwork!